Making the Right Choice for Your Roof Replacement
Hey there, my friend! Today, I’m here to talk to you about a topic that’s close to my heart and crucial for any roofing project: the choice between felt and synthetic roofing underlayment. As a licensed Roofing Contractor and a part of Ernie’s Roofing, a trusted name in the roofing business in Denver since 1978, I’ve seen it all when it comes to roof replacements. Today, I’m going to share our family’s expertise with you, just like I would if you were sitting across from me on a sunny Denver day, sipping coffee.
Understanding Roof Underlayment: The Backbone of Your Roof Replacement
Before we dive into the comparison, let me give you a quick overview. Roof underlayment is like the unseen hero of your roofing system. It’s the layer beneath your shingles, providing an extra barrier against water, ice, and other elements. Choosing the right underlayment is crucial for a successful roof replacement that stands the test of time.
Meet the Contenders: Felt and Synthetic Roofing Underlayment
1. Felt Roofing Underlayment: The Old Guard
Felt roofing underlayment has been around for decades, making it a familiar sight in older homes. It’s made from natural materials, offering a basic level of protection. However, it comes with its share of downsides:
- Durability Issues: Over time, felt paper becomes brittle and prone to tearing, especially in harsh weather conditions.
- Limited Lifespan: Felt underlayment doesn’t have the longevity of its synthetic counterpart. It might not last as long as you’d want it to.
2. Synthetic Roofing Underlayment: The Modern Marvel
Synthetic underlayment, on the other hand, is a product of advanced technology. It’s made from engineered materials, offering a range of benefits:
- Exceptional Durability: Synthetic underlayment is incredibly tough. It can withstand tearing, making it a reliable choice even in challenging weather.
- Longevity: Unlike felt, synthetic underlayment has a significantly longer lifespan. It won’t crumble over time, ensuring your roof stays protected for years.
- Versatility: It’s lightweight and easy to handle, making the installation process smoother and more efficient.
Why Ernie’s Roofing Prefers Synthetic Underlayment: The Contractor’s Perspective
At Ernie’s Roofing, we’ve always believed in providing the best for our clients. That’s why we wholeheartedly recommend synthetic roofing underlayment for roof replacements. Here’s why:
- Quality and Longevity: We stand by products that stand the test of time. Synthetic underlayment ensures that our clients’ roofs remain secure and protected for years, giving them peace of mind.
- Efficiency in Installation: As seasoned contractors, we appreciate products that make our job easier. Synthetic underlayment is lightweight and easy to work with, allowing us to complete installations more efficiently.
- Weather Resistance: Denver weather can be unpredictable, but with synthetic underlayment, our clients don’t have to worry. It offers superior resistance against water and ice, ensuring the longevity of the roofing system.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1: Is synthetic underlayment more expensive than felt?
A: Initially, yes, synthetic underlayment might have a higher upfront cost. However, considering its durability and longevity, it’s a wise investment that saves money in the long run.
Q2: Can synthetic underlayment be used in all roofing projects?
A: Absolutely! Synthetic underlayment is versatile and suitable for various roofing materials and styles. It’s a reliable choice for almost every roofing project.
Q3: Does Ernie’s Roofing handle insurance claims for roof replacements?
A: Yes, we do. We understand the complexities of insurance claims, and our experienced team assists our clients throughout the process to make it hassle-free.
Q4: Do you offer seamless gutter installation along with roof replacements?
A: Certainly! Ernie’s Roofing provides comprehensive services, including seamless gutter installation, ensuring your entire roofing system is in top-notch condition.
Q5: How do I know if my roof needs a replacement?
A: Look out for signs such as missing or curling shingles, water stains on ceilings, or frequent leaks. If you notice any of these, it’s time to consider a roof replacement.
Q6: Is synthetic underlayment eco-friendly?
A: Many synthetic underlayment products are designed to be environmentally friendly, offering a sustainable choice for eco-conscious homeowners.
Q7: Can I install synthetic underlayment myself?
A: While some DIY enthusiasts might attempt it, we strongly recommend professional installation. Proper installation ensures the underlayment performs its protective role effectively.
Q8: What sets Ernie’s Roofing apart from other roofers in Denver?
A: Ernie’s Roofing isn’t just a business; it’s a legacy. With over four decades of experience, we combine expertise, dedication, and a commitment to quality, making us the top choice for roofing projects in Denver.
Conclusion: Making an Informed Choice for Your Roof Replacement
Choosing between felt and synthetic roofing underlayment is a decision that significantly impacts the longevity and efficiency of your roof replacement. As a seasoned contractor from a family with a legacy in roofing, I can confidently say that synthetic underlayment is the way to go. Its durability, longevity, and efficiency make it a superior choice, ensuring your investment pays off in the long run.
At Ernie’s Roofing, we’re not just roofers; we’re your partners in creating a secure, weather-resistant, and beautiful home. If you’re considering a roof replacement or have any questions about roofing, seamless gutters, insurance claims, or anything else related to your home’s protection, don’t hesitate to reach out. Call us at 720-346-ROOF or visit our website at Ernie’s Roofing to experience the Ernie’s Roofing difference.
Here’s to a sturdy roof over your head and the peace of mind you deserve!