When it comes to protecting our homes, the roof plays a vital role, especially in regions prone to hailstorms like Denver. However, there is a common misconception that a newly installed roof is impervious to hail damage. In reality, even a brand-new roof can be susceptible to the impact of hailstones. This article aims to address the issue of whether hail can really damage a newly installed roof in Denver. We will explore the potential consequences of hail damage and provide detailed information on the process of filing a property insurance claim with your insurance company after storm damage.
Can Hail Damage a Newly Installed Roof?
Yes, hail can damage a newly installed roof in Denver. Despite the durability and quality of the materials used in the roof’s construction, certain factors can influence the extent of the damage.
Factors Affecting Hail Damage
Size of Hailstones
The size of the hailstones is a crucial factor in determining the potential damage to a roof. Larger hailstones can exert more force upon impact, causing greater harm. Hailstones in Denver can range in size from small pellets to golf ball-sized or even larger, increasing the likelihood of significant damage to a newly installed roof.
The type of roofing material used in the installation can affect its susceptibility to hail damage. While some materials like metal or concrete tiles are more resilient, others like asphalt shingles, commonly used due to their affordability, may be more vulnerable to cracking or puncturing upon hail impact.
Roof Age and Condition
Even if a roof is newly installed, its age and overall condition can influence its resilience against hail damage. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can enhance a roof’s ability to withstand hailstorms.
Filing a Property Insurance Claim for Hail Damage in Denver
In the event of hail damage to your newly installed roof in Denver, it is crucial to follow the proper procedure when filing a property insurance claim. Here is a detailed list of the claim process:
- Assess the Damage: Conduct a thorough inspection of your roof to document the hail damage. Look for signs such as dents, cracks, missing shingles, granule loss, or visible punctures on the roof’s surface. Take photographs or videos to provide evidence of the damage.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Notify your insurance provider as soon as possible after the hailstorm. Provide them with the necessary details, including the date of the storm and a description of the damage.
- Schedule an Insurance Adjuster’s Visit: The insurance company will assign an adjuster to assess the damage. Schedule a convenient time for their visit to inspect your roof. You can request a specific date and time that works best for you.
- Gather Documentation: Collect all relevant documents, including your insurance policy, photographs or videos of the damage, and any receipts or invoices related to the roof installation or repairs.
- Meet with the Insurance Adjuster: During the adjuster’s visit, present the documented evidence of the hail damage and explain the extent of the impact. Point out any hidden damage that may not be immediately visible.
- Obtain Repair Estimates: Get repair estimates from reputable roofing contractors, including Ernie’s Roofing (located at 1195 W Custer Pl, Denver, CO 80223, contact number: 720-346-ROOF (7773)). Ensure that the estimates cover all necessary repairs to restore your roof to its pre-damaged condition.
- Review the Insurance Claim: After the adjuster’s visit, review the claim details provided by the insurance company. Pay attention to the coverage, deductibles, and any applicable limits or exclusions.
- Approve the Claim and Begin Repairs: If you agree with the insurance company’s assessment and claim offer, approve the claim. Coordinate with your chosen roofing contractor, such as Ernie’s Roofing, to schedule the repairs and restoration of your newly installed roof.
In Denver, hail can indeed damage a newly installed roof. The size of hailstones, the type of roofing material, and the age and condition of the roof can all influence the extent of the damage. If you experience hail damage, it is essential to follow the proper procedure when filing a property insurance claim. Contact your insurance company, document the damage, schedule an adjuster’s visit, and obtain repair estimates. Review the claim details and, if satisfied, approve the claim to begin the necessary repairs. Working with reputable roofing contractors like Ernie’s Roofing can ensure professional restoration of your newly installed roof. For more information and assistance, you can visit Ernie’s Roofing website or contact them at 720-346-ROOF (7773).