DENVER STORM DAMAGE RESTORATION EXPERTS
Wind & Hail Damage Specialists
Request a FREE Estimate
DENVER STORM DAMAGE REPAIR
Wind & Hail PROS
What Does Hail Damage Do to a Roof?
The effects of hail roof damage can differ according to a range of factors: hail size, wind speed, wind direction, the material of the roof, age of materials and slope all have an effect on the possible roof damage that occurs during a hail storm. Hail damage is bad for a roof when it leads to roof leaks and other issues.
Damage can be functional or cosmetic, and it’s the cosmetic damage that is sometimes more severe than it looks. Things like broken edges, bruises, punctures and granule loss can cause serious complications, though they may seem cosmetic at first.
TYPES OF HAIL DAMAGE
- Granules are the rough sandpaper-like part of the shingle. When an asphalt shingle loses granules, its coating is exposed to the elements, and this leads to an accelerated aging. look inside your gutters and downspouts after a hailstorm to see if any granules have come off your shingles.
Cracks in the shingles
- Hard hail impacts or high winds can grip the shingles and most definitely cause cracks. This can lead to exposure and tears, leaving your roof vulnerable with bare spots. Shingles with cracks cannot effectively protect your roof from the weather and elements.
Exposed fiberglass mat
- Hail impact on a roof can shatter the surfacing on shingles, making them break away from the fiberglass mat underneath.
Fractured fiberglass mat
- Fractured fiberglass can be slightly harder to detect and usually requires a trained eye. Fractured fiberglass mats can result in tears and cracks from a point of hail impact.
Weakened self-seal strip
- High winds and hail can weaken the seal integrity of your shingles. A weakened seal is what causes a shingle to blow off and can leave your roof exposed to the elements. Once a shingle is damaged, its integrity has been permanently compromised. This can lead to leaks, and it can cause other shingles around it to tear.
Once you know about these common forms of hail roof damage, you can start to look for signs of damage on your property after a hailstorm.